July 9, 2012 Storks and a Storm

I finally got a picture of something that I have been hoping to get for several weeks now.  Lewis has spotted and shown me some stork nests several times and today we had the opportunity to take a few pictures of the nest and closeup pictures of the storks in the nest with their babies.  So awesome!!! Then Lewis told me that he had been told that storks are good luck in some places so I looked up some fun facts about storks on the internet and will share them with you wonderful readers because it is pretty cool information and I'll bet you don't know what I didn't know about storks..........
Did you know.........

Storks are commonly believed to bring good fortune. In Germany, they
were known as "Adebar" which means "luck-bringer." In the Netherlands,
a stork nesting on one's roof is welcomed as a good omen, but in
Morocco it is a sign that the house will be abandoned by its
occupants.


In Scandinavia, storks - gentle birds with strong family ties,
habitually nested on top of peoples chimneys. So when Scandinavian
parents needed to explain to youngsters how babies arrived, the stork was a handy answer. This traditional tale was spread in the 1800s by Hans Christian Anderson, in his fairy tales.
This species nests on roofs and it is considered good luck to have a
stork on your house. They use the same nest year after year, adding
material so that some nests are 97 inches in diameter, 6.5 feet high,
and weigh 1100-1980 pounds! The Dutch once believed that if a stork
was encouraged to nest on a house it would leave one of the young ones
for the owner. The returning of the mated pair of storks made them a
symbol of fidelity and it was thought that when a stork became old, it
was cared for by one of its offspring.









Good thing we didn't see this in the nest...............HA HA!!


Another big rain storm moved in today and I took a couple of unusual pictures that I wanted to share. I found an iPhone app that allows you to take a picture and make it look like it is being viewed through a clear marble........pretty aweome in my humble opinion!!!




PS - Did you know that you can click on any picture in the blog and make it bigger to view closer? 

2 comments:

  1. Wow they make huge nests....kind of looks pre-historic

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO, I did not know what you know now - wink! Fun information.. I have never seen a stork in person nor their nest. The nest is huge - it reminds me of a eagel's nest.. Cool awesome photos with the iphone app..I like the last photo with a little of the ground showing..
    Hugs, for a safe day..

    ReplyDelete